Ensku húsin is a guesthouse with history and soul in only one hour’s drive from Reykjavik. The name translated in English is “the old English lodge” which refers to the Englishmen that owned the house for a period of time.
The oldest part of the house was imported from Norway and assembled by a farmer in 1884. It was originally a house for his family, but with new owners around 1900 it was used as a fishing lodge on the banks of Langá, one of Iceland’s most famous salmon rivers. From 1960 until today Jóhannes Guðmundsson, his daughter and family run the fishing lodge that served the river until 1998 when it was turned into a guesthouse.
The atmosphere is peaceful with pure nature all around. The Old English Fishing Lodge at the River Langá is 6 km to the west of the small town of Borgarnes, about one hour drive from Reykjavík. The guesthouse consists of two houses, the Old English Fishing Lodge and old farmhouse Lambalaekur. The houses were bought from the same factory in Norway and imported to Iceland. The Old English Fishing Lodge was built by a farmer in 1884. Lambalaekur, built 1894, was used as a farmhouse about 20 km from Ensku húsin but in 2002- 4 was renovated and moved to our location by the family.
The guesthouse is now a family company striving to keep the atmosphere
cozy and tranquil. The rooms are 19 in total, 11 of them with private facilities. “Even though the oldest part of the houses are 100 years old the rooms remain peaceful and the athmosphere by the river has been the same throughout the years, with a feeling of being welcomed to the family,” says manager Anna Dröfn.
For more information and booking visit www.enskuhusin.is